Domains & Hosting Services
Domain names – WWW.yournamehere.com
A domain name is the website name or technically the website address. – You may already have a domain name if we are doing a redesign service for you but if starting fresh the domain name is one of the key factors. Some suggestions when deciding on a website name or domain name are the following (which we strongly suggest that you allow us to provide a selection of domain names for you to choose from).
- The shorter domain name the better to make it both easy to remember and easy and short to type.
- Ideally if you can get a combination and / or your product, service or location in the domain name it can serve a number of additional benefits. I.e. – Tells people what you do and where you do it, when on a business card it saves space by doing the above on the same line as your website address. One other key benefit is that search engines such as Google, Yahoo, MSN and others give it bonus points by having one or more of your keywords in the domain name. As an example: www.snagmyhome.com (telling clients that they are home snagging company )or www.dublinsurveys.com (telling clients that they survey homes in Dublin), or www.septicsystemsireland.com (telling clients they are septic tank systems company in Ireland).
- Costs for Domain names are charged annually and vary depending on the domain name such as .com, .net, .biz, .info, .design up to .ie (which is for sites and companies based in Ireland). Some domains incur higher costs per year and also have a variety of different registration criteria. Our team will explain these when we provide you with a selection of domains we think may be suitable or discuss the name you have chosen.
- Our rule is to register all domain names in the customer or clients details. This ensures your name is always yours and remains in your ownership. This is crucially important should a time come when you wish to change or sell off, the domain belongs to you an is yours to do what you wish. Some less honest web providers register the domain names to their own company meaning you only have the impression of ownership. IwebIreland believe in clarity on domain ownership from the get go and we only have our details on a domain name as an administration role.
- Other key tips we use or advise when choosing a domain name:
- Use your domain name to grab local business
- Don’t choose domain names with hyphens or numbers
- Pick a memorable domain name
- Don’t get into hot water with other companies
- Check for embarrassing double meanings
Hosting is the term used that refers to the holding of the website design and all its functions (videos, pictures, products, contact forms, order forms) and features on our computers or ‘servers’ which makes the site available to any number of users or viewers at the same time or anytime day or night. Starter website design packages have hosting and domain charged per year from as little as €150 ! So less than a weeks small ad in a local paper you can have your website available to a huge number of site users or ‘traffic’ all year around.
Costs associated with hosting (and your domain name )are quoted from the outset and set for the year ahead. Domain name costs generally remain fixed per year however hosting is subject to factors such as the size of the website if (expanded or) large (number of pages / videos / music etc. ) and increases in traffic dictate the hosting costs. For instance a large eCommerce website shop with heavy amounts of site traffic will have a higher hosting annual cost. However website running costs are minute compared to traditional media costs and the return on investment far outweigh the amount of new custom you can bring to your business. An advertisement in the national media papers for instance runs for the number of days and weeks you pay for & getting a concise metric from your advertisement is very limited. With your website from a fee of 150 per year your advertisement is out on the web all day everyday year round, changes are no problem to the website content & exact metric on the site viewers are available through Google analytics which provides a wealth of user information.
Further details on Google analytics can be found on our blog here